Information, advice and resources for NEU Cymru members.
If the pandemic has shown us anything, it is that there remains inequality within the education system. Even though the state school system in Wales is one to cherish, young people still need support to make sure they can access education alongside their peers, so we must reduce the cost of going to school and college for everyone.
School should not add to the costs for Wales’ disadvantaged families – education should be freely available to everyone. But we know that there are escalating costs involved, costs which we believe should be removed to ensure that there are no barriers to learning.
To fulfil this, the next Welsh Government needs to:
- Make sure everyone in school and college has access to the IT equipment and wi-fi they need to learn at home.
- Make sure free school meals are available through the holidays.
- Ensure everyone on Universal Credit has access to free school meals.
- Make school uniform affordable.
- Provide support for the extra costs of courses and training.
- Increase the Education Maintenance Allowance to £45 a week.
NEU Cymru's priorities and key asks of the Welsh government (in English and Welsh).
NEU Cymru want the Welsh Government to make learning fair and equitable.
NEU Cymru want the Welsh Government to support the education workforce.