Support for NEU Workplace Reps
The role of a workplace rep is vital and involves liaising directly with the Headteacher or Principal, representing work colleagues and organising in their workplace.
However, being a workplace rep can be a lonely job at times; do not panic as there is help available for new and old reps alike.
As a workplace rep, you should know that you have certain rights under employment law, which are:
- statutory paid time off for union duties and training.
- approach non-members about joining.
- somewhere to display NEU materials.
- reasonable use of facilities, such as email, telephone, and a photocopier.
- use of a room for meetings.
The support available for new and old reps alike:
- Bradford NEU Reps WhatsApp group, a group for reps in Bradford schools and a friendly place to seek support, share experiences and advice from other reps
- Bradford NEU Facebook group which is another place to find and seek advice from Bradford local officers https://www.facebook.com/neubrad/
- Officers of the Bradford District are available via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bradford NEU has an annual Reps training during the autumn term
- The NEU regularly holds training for new and old reps, which can be found on the here: https://neu.org.uk/reps-training
- During the Covid-19 crisis, the national NEU has also been holding various Zoom meetings for workplace Reps and members
- Attending district Bradford NEU meetings, which are usually twice a term; there is the opportunity to network with other reps and meet the local officers