Excessive workload, harassment, deteriorating buildings and the impact of climate change are amongst some of the key health and safety concerns of education workers. Becoming a health and safety rep is exciting and rewarding, as you will be carrying out vital work.
What does a Health and Safety rep do?
The single most important job of the H&S rep is to make everyone aware that the NEU is a strong collective voice for members. Strong union groups experience fewer workplace issues including health and safety issues – union presence stops management causing problems. Specific functions include
- Plan and carry out termly H&S inspections - using our checklist - at your workplace and submit subsequent reports to the employer
- Be available to talk to members about H&S questions and concerns, consider their collective potential and raise with management
- Investigate members’ concerns about health, safety, welfare and the environment and consider their collective potential and raise with management.
- Check that action has been taken to resolve any problems that have been reported to the employer
- Build relationships with other union representatives and managers to help resolve potential H&S problems at an early stage.