Join the NEU's Leadership member community to offer and seek support, share best practice and shape the future of education.
NEU is the second largest union for leaders and managers across the entire education sector. School leaders and college managers are vital to the NEU as they are in a strong position to influence and implement policy. The union sees the great value of supporting and helping to develop ethical leaders who lead and shape the future of education.
The NEU understands the complex and professionally demanding work done by school leaders and college managers. We offer advice that will assist leaders in finding their way through these challenges. We support leaders to stand together with other educational professionals to inform NEU policy that benefits teaching and learning and the education system.
As part of the NEU Leadership support and advice package you will have access to:
- NEU Leadership Guild, the exclusive professional messaging app for our leadership members to allow networking and peer support;
- Annual Leadership Conference, to share effective leadership models, policies, research and collaborative action for change in education;
- LEAD, the magazine for NEU Leadership members focused on your professional interests and needs;
- NEU advice and guidance to leadership members in key professional issues including ethical leadership, equality matters and workload;
- NEU Adviceline for advice on employment rights, and support from our experienced staff including solicitors based in the regions and nations;
- Leadership CPD that maximises your opportunity to apply knowledge and practice new skills in a changing education environment
Directed time and whole school well-being
Leadership educators continue to make a huge contribution during this pandemic, working well over what is expected in contractual terms. School Leaders deserve a fair workload, during a time when there is political pressure for recovery education.
As ethical leaders, the importance of addressing directed time can effectively begin to tackle workload for you and your staff. Listen to Headteacher and NEU President, Robin Bevan, talking about why he places importance on the directed time calendar in his school.
Leaders holding school communities together
Leaders are continuing to make incredible efforts to maintain student’s education and staff wellbeing in the face of the current crisis.
- Headteacher John Hayes describes how he has been supporting pupils, parents and staff during lockdown and why collaboration is his watchword.
- Rachel Tomlinson, headteacher of Barrowford Primary School shares her thoughts on supporting staff wellbeing.
- Professor Gemma Moss think’s it’s time for a new perspective on the purpose of education.
Access more videos and articles on the Remote Education Hub which puts educational professionals at the heart of developing practice which supports teaching and learning during lockdown.
Code of Ethical Leadership in Practice
Headteacher and NEU president, Robin Bevan, presents in this video, the Code of Ethical Leadership in Practice and gives examples of how he has used it in his school context. Download the guide below.
The National Education Union is committed to bringing you the best professional development and union training.
A platform to support NEU members in delivering effective remote learning
The NEU is campaigning for pay progression for all eligible staff, implementation of the national pay increase for all staff and to ensure employers are using the national pay scales.
Advice for leaders
Leadership, Workload and Covid-19
The new Ofsted inspection framework is focused on the quality of the school’s curriculum, and as a school leader, you have difficult decisions to make to balance staffing with budget in your school.
The NEU’s ‘Belonging’ research highlights that where school leaders developed an intentional approach focused on changing learning and teaching, that this led to reshaping expectations and the culture of the school by all.
Relationships education and health education should begin in primary school and be developed and delivered according to children’s developmental age and lived experiences.
Heads of department, curriculum leaders, SENCOs and NQT mentors flourish in their roles when they are provided with adequate time, development opportunities and collaborative support.
The most common queries NEU members have on pay for leadership teachers in schools and academies.
This guide gives advice to leaders on how their pay progression system works.