- Reps should consult with disabled members and carry out workplace surveys or mapping to identify issues affecting disabled members.
- Encourage members to discuss disability issues and to challenge jointly any barriers faced by disabled members in the workplace.
- Reps and members can contact the NEU’s advice line or regional offices if they need support with this: [email protected] ph: 0345 811 8111.
- Support and represent members experiencing difficulties and seek advice from the NEU if necessary.
- Ensure when you hold workplace meetings or union events, that your communications and resources are inclusive and accessible for all disabled members including people with ‘hidden’ impairments.
- Educate yourself about some of the issues faced by disabled members so that you are in a position to give at least some initial advice.
Read the NEU checklist for leaders and give a copy to your head or principal.