The Work and Families (Northern Ireland) Act 2015 provides an opportunity for parents to take advantage of additional flexibility in the way they choose to care for a new arrival to the family.
The relevant policy for teachers in Northern Ireland is set out in Teachers' Shared Parental Leave Scheme.
The policy is designed to help eligible parents decide whether the benefits of Shared Parental Leave will work for them and how it could be used alongside, or instead of, traditional Maternity or Adoption leave.
The scheme applies to all eligible teachers to provide leave to care for their child or support the mother/adopter following the birth or placement for adoption for the first 12 months the child is with the family.
Shared Parental Leave (SPL)
- SPL must be taken in complete weeks as either one continuous block or in a discontinuous block (leave/work/leave/work).
- Must be taken between the baby's birth and first birthday.
- You DO NOT have to share the leave or pay if you don’t want to.
- SPL can only be taken by employees.
- Shared Parental Pay (ShPP) is £156.66 p/w (same as SMP).
- Paid in full over the periods of school closure
- Any problems? Contact NEU.