A worker can claim some expenses back against tax.

Some examples an educator may be able to claim against tax paid

  • Union subcriptions
  • Other professional associations
  • Washing branded workwear e.g. a school branded fleece
  • Training related to work that the employee pays themselves
  • cost of utilies if working from home
  • items like books purchased solely for work use.

To claim against tax for union subscriptions if you do not submit a tax return.

Contact NEU membership for a printout of the subs you have paid for the last four years.   Contact HMRC e.g. phone them and tell them the subs you have paid.  They will normally issue a refund by cheque.

More information is available from the HMRC e.g. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs or seek advice from a professional e.g. an accountant