A worker can claim some expenses back against tax.
Some examples an educator may be able to claim against tax paid
- Union subcriptions
- Other professional associations
- Washing branded workwear e.g. a school branded fleece
- Training related to work that the employee pays themselves
- cost of utilies if working from home
- items like books purchased solely for work use.
To claim against tax for union subscriptions if you do not submit a tax return.
Contact NEU membership for a printout of the subs you have paid for the last four years. Contact HMRC e.g. phone them and tell them the subs you have paid. They will normally issue a refund by cheque.
More information is available from the HMRC e.g. https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs or seek advice from a professional e.g. an accountant