Given that “the science” is clearly having to bend to political will, at a time when the spread of the virus is accelerating and dangerous, we feel it is beholden on us as your union to meet with you, hear your views, and do what we can to support you.
NEU offer for 2020/2021
As the education union, NEU, (and our leadership section, NEU Leaders) is committed to offering “byte-sized” learning opportunities to schools / school managements in circumstances where CPD budgets are tight or non-existent. CPD and learning should be effective and impact on your practice.
NEU’s winter 2020 programme can deliver ‘small byte’ practical learning in school or at home. These NEU “byte-sized” CPD chunks are aimed at facilitating short-form learning, for instance, at INSET or Staff Development Days, within PPA time – or anywhere by arrangement. Schools can arrange to secure a session for their senior leadership team (SLT).
Joining courses does not require NEU membership. There are no course fees and the courses are designed to encourage remote access during the Covid-19 period. Please contact the NEU NI Regional Office or call 028 9078 2020 for more information.
Find a course:
Click to scroll to the relevant section, then find a course.
Byte-sized leadership courses
NEU can directly provide a range of courses to your School / College (as staff training or at ‘INSET’ days, for instance):
- Resolving workplace disputes: Handling discipline and grievance, early conciliation and mediation
- Managing investigations: A quick, checklist guide
- Managing critical conversations and managing performance
- Managing sickness absence
- Managing disability in the workplace: An introduction to the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1995
- Aspiring school leaders: Applying for your first VP/P post: This course is suitable for all NEU members applying for their first vice-principal or principal post. It will assist you in filling in the application form and interview techniques.
For more information, please email Alastair Donaghy.
Teaching and non-teaching staff
NEU can offer school staff:
- Social Media in the Workplace
- Variation of Contract, Flexible working
- Planning for Retirement, Understanding your pension
- Teachers Pensions: Understanding the changes
For more information, please contact the NEU NI Regional Office or phone 028 9078 2020
Free CPD offer: 'Teaching and supporting remote learners online'
NEU members, Cecilia O'Hagan and Audrey Currie, from Stranmillis University College, have developed and made available to teachers 'Teaching and Supporting Remote Learners online' specifically as a community contribution to support teachers working from home during the Covid-19 crisis.
This 4-week professional learning course has been designed by the college at this time to support educational professionals working from home during the suspension of teaching in NI schools and colleges.
The focus of the course is on the promotion of ‘teacher presence’ for all children, using simple technology skills such as webinar and video lessons. This is a supportive course for teachers to enhance the wellbeing of children and young people while working from home.
The course is free, and we thank Celia and Audrey for this generous initiative at a difficult time.
Fighting Words is a well established programme to help children and young people, and adults who did not have this opportunity as children, to discover and harness the power of their own imaginations and creative writing skills. At its core, Fighting Words is also about something much broader and more inclusive. It is about using the creative practice of writing and storytelling to strengthen our children and teenagers – from a wide range of backgrounds – to be resilient, creative and successful shapers of their own lives.
- Un-school club: Call for submissions from both young writers (6-12 years) and older writers (13-17 years) with dedicated pages and tailored content.
- Fighting Words story starter - a mini-site that generates story prompts for primary school format for English and Irish.
- Fought Words writing videos - videos on starting a story and writing tips for teens. And a song-writing workshop.