CPD can take place in several different ways; attending courses, reading a relevant book or watching a colleague perform within their role are some examples of how you can access CPD in your workplace and with your union. The professional development programme reflects the diverse and inclusive nature of NEU’s membership, and courses have been designed for members in every sector and role.
There are no course fees for members to attend a NEU CPD course, but we do not cover travel or accommodation costs. It is however important that you receive support from your employer to attend this course, not just in the time away from the workplace but also in travel costs.To help you secure both time-off and financial support from your employer, we have produced guidance on your rights to time off, how to request training from your employer and your rights if your request is refused. Please contact the NEU NI Regional Office or call 028 9078 2020 for more information.
Find a course:
Click to scroll to the relevant section, then find a course.
- Student and NQT workshops
- Early years
- Equality workshops
- Workplace relations and employment law
- Open university free courses
- Staff training for schools and colleges
Student and NQT workshops
NEU offer a range of workshops (90 minutes) for student and NQT members including:
- Protecting your professional online identity.
- The voice of control.
- Teaching in the multi-ethnic classroom.
- Meeting the parents – how to cope with parents’ evenings.
- Applying for your first job.
- What can happen in the classroom.
- Managing classroom behaviour.
NEU organises training in the early years sector through a partnership agreement with early years. Courses we can offer are subject to demand.
- Managing critical conversations.
- Managing challenging behaviour in the early years.
- Delivering multi ethnic early years provision.
- Voice care for early years practitioners.
- Protecting your online professional identity (personal use of social media).
- Child protection overview.
A range of workshops offered by the Equality Commission that can be accessed through membership of NEU. Equality Training seminars for Employers or Service Provider are available through the Equality Commission. These are CPD certified training opportunities, with online registration at the Equality Commission Northern Ireland website.
Workplace relations and employment law
NEU enjoy a close working relationship with the Labour Relations Agency (LRA). Several NEU personnel sit on dispute resolution and arbitration panels facilitated by the LRA. Members can access a wide range of information sessions, briefings, workshops and updates run by the LRA. You can book places (free of charge) online or contact the NEU NI Regional Office.
Open university free courses
We offer a range of courses offered through partnership with the Open University. These include over 800 free taster courses ranging from introductory level to postgraduate level. There are over 800 courses to choose from, each taking between one and fifty hours to complete.
FUTURELEARN: The expertise of the open University also powers Futurelearn, the UK’s largest provider of online free courses. Futurelearn has courses in a range of categories including Business & Management, Creative Arts, Health & Psychology, History, Languages, Law, Literature, Nature & Environment, Politics, Science, Maths & Technology and Sport and Leisure. Learn more.
Staff training for schools and colleges
NEU can directly provide a range of courses to your school / college as staff training or at ‘INSET’ days, for instance. Our courses are skills-based, giving you practical tools that can be taken back into your workplace and beyond. To get the right course for you, we suggest thinking about not only what would benefit your institution and students, but also what would be of most value to your own personal development. Courses include:
- Protecting your professional identity online (1 hour)
- The multi-ethnic classroom (half day)
- Creativity in the classroom (half day)
- Managing classroom behaviour (half day)
- Managing investigations (aimed at school/college managers) (2 Hours)
- Understanding your pension (1 hour)
- Teachers’ terms and conditions (the “Jordanstown” agreement) (1 hour)
- Workload and managing stress in the workplace (1 hour)
Please contact the NEU NI Regional Office or call 028 9078 2020 for more information.