NEU is recognised by more independent sector employers than any other union. Approximately 100 independent schools negotiate staff terms and conditions with NEU, of which roughly half include all support staff as well as teachers.
As a modern trade union, NEU believes in the ethos of the school community and that the contribution of all staff is equally important. Consequently, the NEU welcomes into membership all staff working in the independent sector: teachers and teaching assistants, technicians and librarians, office administration and cleaners, grounds and caretaking staff.
In addition to all the usual services you would expect such as first-class advice and support, NEU commits considerable resources to supporting our members in the independent sector.
NEU is the only trade union to offer all of the following:
- staff solely dedicated to the independent sector
- your local NEU branch, which can help you with any questions or issues that you have.
- an elected member advisory group which advises NEU's Executive Committee
- a termly newsletter on independent sector issues
- the annual Independent Schools Conference, with keynote speakers and seminars, and the opportunity to meet other colleagues in the sector, as well as NEU's annual pay and conditions survey of the sector
- dedicated publications such as NEU's guide Working in the Independent Sector and our Work-life Balance Toolkit for Teachers in Independent Schools
- tailored sector specific training courses
- campaigns, such as NEU's campaign against the culture of working excessive hours in the independent sector.
Make a real difference to the issues that are important to you.