As a modern trade union, the NEU believes in the ethos of the school and college community and that the contribution of all staff is equally important. Consequently, the NEU welcomes into membership all professionals working in the education sector: teachers, teaching assistants, examination officers, technicians, librarians, lecturers, managers, administrators and ancillary staff.
The NEU commits considerable resources to representing our support staff members. NEU is the only trade union that can offer you all of the following:
- staff solely dedicated to support staff members and issues
- a National Committee, which acts as the voice of support staff members on the NEU National Executive
- a termly newsletter for our support staff members
- regular electronic updates on breaking matters
- an annual support staff conference, open to all members
- an extensive CPD programme, with events held centrally and locally
- Specialist support staff representation at District level (to find out more about becoming the support staff Officer on your local District Committee please email Peter Morris).
International Examinations Officers' Association (iEOA)
NEU membership is open to any member of the International EOA. We have developed a discounted membership rate so the benefits of your iEOA membership can complement the protection provided by a first-class trade union. The foundation organisation the Examination Officers’ Association (EOA) first affiliated to our predecessor Union, ATL, in 2006.
Habilitation VI (UK)
NEU membership is also open to members of Habilitation VI (UK). We have developed a discounted membership rate so the benefits of your Habilitation VI (UK) membership can complement the protection provided by a first-class trade union.
Support staff apprentices
The NEU offers free membership to support staff apprentices working in a school or college on a one year placement.
This means that should you have any problems at work during your time as an apprentice, the Union will represent your interests, by giving you access to our network of Reps, Branches and paid officials. Then at the end of the apprenticeship, if you secure a permanent or temporary job in education, you will be able to become a full member of the NEU.