Annually on 8 March, thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women, celebrate women's achievements and shine a spotlight on gender inequality.
Celebrating women in the union
This year, for International Women’s Day (IWD) the NEU is focusing on celebrating women in the union and the work so many women educators do to promote gender equality in education –from tackling gender stereotypes to promoting the rights of women staff.
Get involved by tweeting about an NEU woman you want to celebrate using the hashtags #EachForEqual and #IWD2020.
Or print off one of our placards to take a photo with and share it on social media.
How will you promote equality for women and girls in your school or college?
There are lots of NEU tools, resources and advice you can use to promote gender equality for staff and students for IWD and beyond:
- Raise awareness about the findings of our ground-breaking report on sexism and sexual harassment in schools.
- Use AGENDA in your school - a new tool to help you tackle gender inequality and develop an inclusive Relationships and Sex Education.
- Rebalance your bookshelves to ensure you are using literature that promotes equality and diversity and challenges gender stereotypes. Take inspiration from our Breaking the Mould and Every Child and Every Family resources.
- Protect and promote the rights of your female staff by using our
You can get further inspiration about to do in your school by looking at the International Women’s Day resources for schools.
If you are celebrating IWD in your workplace, please get in touch and let us know what you are doing by contacting the equality team.
Dates for your diary
- Sign up to our Women’s Development Course. This training looks to boost your confidence and help you to recognise and celebrate the skills you already have.
- The NEU has established the Annie Higdon Award to acknowledge and celebrate the work members do to challenge sexism and build women’s activity in the union. The nominations for 2020 are now closed but you can look out for this year’s winner at our Annual Conference. This IWD, make sure you start thinking about who you would like to nominate for 2021!