Cuts to 16-19 funding have been much greater than cuts to school funding. Sixth form colleges are under threat. Teachers in sixth form colleges are facing threats to pay, working conditions and employment. Students in this extremely successful sector are facing threats to their education.
Use the materials on this page to raise awareness of the issues with your colleagues, friends and the public and build support for the campaign. It is vital that we put pressure on MPs and Ministers to tackle the post-16 funding crisis. Sixth form alumni from many walks of life and across the political spectrum have expressed their support for 16-19 education.
The School Cuts website includes sixth form colleges and sets out exactly how much the Government plans to cut every college's funding by 2020.
What the NEU wants
- Restoration of 16-19 funding to the levels which existed before the Coalition Government started its cuts programme
- Exemption from VAT for colleges – without them having to apply for academy status
What you should do
- Talk to your colleagues. Ask your NEU rep to hold a meeting to discuss the issues with members.
- If there’s no NEU rep in your college, get together with colleagues to elect one, and let the union know when you have.
- Support Raise the Rate and #LoveOurColleges on Twitter.
- Encourage members to sign the Rate the Rate Petition