This year's theme is: Black Lives Matter in the NEU: 30 years of our activism, what next?
This largest conference celebrating Black educational staff in Europe will be held online again this year - offering a unique opportunity to engage and organise with Black members across the country.
Early application is recommended to ensure you can submit a motion to conference. All members who register by the closing date of applications can participate in motions debate. You must be registered as a delegate by noon 29th October to send in motions by the deadline and participate in the amendment process.
* Black’ is “all members who self-identify as Black, Asian or any other ‘minority ethnic’ groups who do not identify themselves as white”. This includes Gypsy and Roma non-white people.
We do not use the terms BME or BAME because:
- They suggest that individuals are a homogenous group.
- They can appear to be convenient descriptions but are not generally identities which people have themselves chosen to identify.
- They overlook the fact that African, Asian and all non-white people are actually a global majority.
- The terms can pathologise certain groups and implies the putting down of a group as ‘’less than’’.
Conference sessions on Thursday and Friday will take place after work, from 5:30-8:00pm. Saturday's session is from 10:30am - 6pm.
Closing date for applications is 5:00pm, 9 November.